Monday, August 20, 2007

A new thing to loath

I have found a new thing to loath. Windows Vista.

Shamoopie needed a new computer for the school so we bought one at Costco. It's a nice HP with dual processors and two gigs of ram. Sweet. Running Xp this thing would kick ass. Instead this thing runs Vista...oh joy.

I thought that the Mac commercials were joking. They were not. You must answer okay every time a program trys to write to your hard drive. I mean EVERY time. Some of her XP programs won't run and others will run but won't shutdown.

My first thought is to wipe the thing and start over with XP. I just may do that this weekend. Then wait until they fix the bugs in Vista and upgrade, maybe. Vista didn't recognize my network card. I use a strange off brand....not. It's a Linksys, only one of the most widely used cards out there. How do you not have drivers for it. Then it wouldn't load the drivers even after I put them on a memory stick. Finally I installed the card and tried to connect to the network. Vista couldn't figure out my security setting so I finally did it all by hand. It tried for a few minutes then just closed the window without and notice as to what just happened.

Remember that memory stick that I used to download the Linksys drivers. About ten minutes Vista tried to format the stick on it's own and failed. I was using the stick at the time and then Vista wouldn't read it anymore. Stuck it back into an XP box and all the data was still there and you could read and write to it just fine.

At some point I will buy a book on Vista and find out why all these things are happening. Until I believe I shall avoid it like the plague.

No comments:

Google

Google