Friday, August 24, 2007

Ford Focus drivers and others

Having a relatively long commute, (at least for this area) I have noticed a few "trueisms" about drivers and their vehicles.

People who drive the Ford Focus just don't care and seem to be really pissed off. This is the third day in a row that someone driving a Ford Focus (different car and different people each day) has swapped lanes and driven like a lunatic while I was driving home. They are driving a piece of crap and want to prove to you that it's not, so they drive really fast. I guess they figure that the cops will take pity on them since they are driving a Ford Focus?

BMW drivers always want to be in front of you and will cut you off at the drop of a hat. The same with SUV drivers.

All minivan drivers think that they are driving a Porsche. They are not. But they think that they are or are dreaming about driving a Porsche while behind the wheel of their minivan.

No matter what lane I am in on the interstate, it seems to be the one that everyone wants to be in. It's the "in" lane. I get in one lane and I stay there. If the lane stops. I stop and wait for it to start moving again. It usually does as soon as the guy in front of me gets out of it.

Back to the Ford Focus driver. All the lanes stop at one point where traffic merges and there is a big lane shift for people to exit and go in different directions. It's not a good design. People in the right had lane are going left and people in the left hand lane are going right and there is a large traffic group merging into this shift all at the same point. The lane that I was in was where Mr. Ford Focus wanted to be because my lane happened to be moving so he cut in front of me eating up all of the cushion that I had placed there in case my lane stopped. Traffic stopped right after he got in the lane but I had already backed off of him enough to stop long before I even came near him. So now our lane stopped moving. He somehow sped up and cut back into the lane he came from when it started moving again. My lane immediately started moving and his stopped. He was pissed. A woman did the same thing the day before and she was also driving a Ford Focus.

We are all going to get there people. It's a packed highway and all the lanes will move like an inchworm. That's just the way this traffic thing works. Too many cars for one highway slows them all down.

Traffic clears after this intersection and then comes the charge of the minivans. They speed up and go as fast as their engines will go to pass you to get to the next traffic point where everything comes to a halt again.

And so it goes like this every day on the the way home from work. People don't seem to be in a much of a rush to get to work in the morning. The drive much slower. Also the traffic opens up on the way to work at all the same points it closes down on the way home. Another great plan by the traffic engineers.

3 comments:

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

And now my 1992 Volvo doesn't sound like such a bad idea after all, does it???

Hmmph. I knew it.

Bubblewench said...

Ok, the minivan situation has been going on for well on 20 years... I know that for a fact. My uncle and I figured that out when I was about 15...

Agree 100% on the BMW drivers too. To the point where my husband, who does not drive or have a license, NOTICES that BMW drivers are asses.

Thankfully I have yet to encounter the evil Ford Focus routines on our roads.

We do deal with the little old men with hats situation though. You know who/what I'm talking about, you've seen them too. They're everywhere.

And of course, we have the "OH, let me slow down to a crawl in the fast lane because I have to make a phone call" people. They are just so lovely.

Katrina said...

as a Ford Focus driver for quite a few years, I feel the need to defend my people...have you ever driven a ford focus? it's like a go-kart! also, with all the problems that come with it, you just give up and don't care what happens while driving.

Google

Google