Monday, August 6, 2007

Cell Phones and Crazy People

Growing up just outside New York city. Say it with me now in a southern drall, "New York City". You could tell who the crazy people were. They were dressed funny and would walk around talking to themselves. The state mental institutions would let people out once or twice a year when they were running low on funding and it seemed that they all of these people ended up in the city.

Mostly you avoided them. Sometimes they would steal your Coke cans while you where sitting at a table eating in Little Italy. You didn't try to chase them down because they were talking to themselves. You knew they were crazy. They left you alone if you left them alone. They had problems and you knew it.

Tonight there was a guy sitting in his car in a parking lot with engine running and the AC on because it's 101 degrees outside and he is just talking to himself. Is he crazy? Maybe. But he did have a thing stuck in is ear. Maybe he was on a cell phone? You see these people everywhere they are walking around and just talking up a storm. Sometimes it looks like they are talking to you. I feel like De Niro(ing) them and asking..."you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?". But then I would seem crazy.

So now a person who walks around talking to themselves may not be crazy? Maybe. So now I do the same thing I did before. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. Some how it still works.

3 comments:

Bubblewench said...

LMAO! Oh the memories of living in NYC with the wierdos just all came flooding back....

I work for a cellular company and everyone around here has those things and you think they are talking to you, in the elevator, walking down the hall, then you feel stupid cause you said "You talking to me?" or something like that.

I hate those things.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

You talkin' to meh? HUH?

Fancy Pants said...

Yes I am talking to you Shamoopie. And Bubblewench now as well. Happy belated birthday BW.

Google

Google