Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Special People

There are some special people in your life. We all have them at one time or another if we are lucky. One of mine was a neighbor. We shared a property line and on part of our property was a brier patch. I don't like brier patches. Most people don't, except maybe Br'er Rabbit. But that was in a Disney movie that is not shown anymore. Lovely was only two at the time and the patch was near her play area. So I asked my neighbor if I could pay to have it removed. I offered to remove both his and mine, since removing only mine would only allow them to grow back on my lot.

He agreed that it would be not only ok but he offered to pay for his portion of the removal which would have been about $100 since the part on his yard was only one third of mine. So the guy came and removed all the brier patch and I was happy. I paid him for the whole job and he went on his merry way.

I saw my neighbor in his yard the next day and asked him how he liked the work. He told me that he didn't and that he was upset with me for removing the brier patch. WHAT? Now I was confused. I said " So I guess this means that you won't be paying me for your part of the removal?" He said he would not be paying me the $100. Which told me that he did remember our conversation. We talked some more and I was able to get out of him that his wife (the "little boy next door", but that is another story) didn't like me destroying the bunny's home. Apparently, she believed the Br'er rabbit when he wanted to be thrown into the brier patch.

From that point on Lovely was told to call our neighbor "Special Ed". She would wave as she would say it and she was really cute doing so. It was difficult for my neighbor to yell at a two year old but he sure could give me dirty looks. :)

1 comment:

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

As long as you don't teach our little bird to call our neighbor "The Chosen Juan" I think everything will be fine.

Google

Google