Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Trashman

Webster define them as: a worker who collects and hauls away trash.

Waste Management makes it look like an exciting career. Words are used like "Environmental Stewardship" and "Social Responsibility Report".

How about we call it what it is and you just start doing what you are paid to do. Pick up the trash! Here i town they have gone to automated pickup. One driver and one guy on the back of the truck. They no longer "pickup" the trash. The truck does all the work. Anything not in the can is left right where it sits. They don't get off the truck.

Just a reminder that they are trashmen. Collecting is the first part. It wasn't that long ago that they used to come twice a week and go behind your house and bring the cans to the truck. Now not only do I have to bring the can to the street, pickup is only once a week. Since most things are recycled, there usually isn't much in the can anyway.

Which makes me think. When do you decide to become a trashman? I remember as a child saying when I was asked what I wanted to do when I grew up "I want to collect the trash".

I have decided that I am quitting my current job in genetics research to become a trashman.....or puppet master. :)

3 comments:

Andria said...

I think you need some sleep. :)

Bubblewench said...

Here's my trash problem... we got this postcard outlining what we can and cannot recycle. Cardboard and paper products are in the CAN RECYCLE column.

I am an avid recycler. I have a recycle bin full of cardboard and paper products that can be recycled. I seperate. Put the bin out seperate from garbage and plastic or glass..

Then the 'waste management expert' comes by, dumps the cardboard right into our trash can and takes it all at once.

Why am I bothering? These guys make more then me in a year, and they don't care.

Fancy Pants said...

Not only do they make more, they smell worse!

Google

Google