Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I removed Vista yesterday

I removed Vista yesterday from Shamoopie's computer so it will run her music applications. What a pain.

Computers don't come with floppies anymore and you will never guess what is required for a driver update while installing XP? Yep, hit F6 and load your drivers in the floppy drive. Wait, this computer doesn't have a floppy drive. You bastards. So what do you do?

I went to Tiger Direct and bought a USB floppy drive. Worked like a charm. I also found a usb mount for my old laptop drive that I saved from my busted laptop. That was cool and it was only $10. Now I have a small, portable, 60M usb drive instead of just throwing the whole thing out. It was an old Acer that got really hot and the battery died in two seconds of it being unplugged from the wall. The screen went out and there was no sense in fixing it.

If the music programs ran on linux I would have installed that in a second. But they only run on XP and don't run on Vista. Shamoopie has Finale which seemed to work. What didn't work was the Steinberg products, Wavelab, Cubase, and all the Sibelius products like compass. I tried loading their patch and all it did was stop the program from crashing. It never allowed multiple users to access the program.

There were just too many issues with programs that already were working on XP. The Vista home premium looked nice but wasn't worth messing with. Shamoopie needs to use it now not six months from now when they work some of this out. What really sticks is they want to charge you if you don't have a copy of the install cd for XP. I have four and only one working computer right now so I was covered. If not I would have had to buy a copy. Some how I thnk that they planned this. Like Bill needs more money. :)

1 comment:

Bubblewench said...

I'm so computer stupid, that about half way through all I read was blah blah blah blah blah.

I hope it's all working and wonderful!

Google

Google